Winter is well and truly here and the countdown to Christmas is in full swing. This post will help you stay on top of your social media, showcase the amazing experience you provide, build a warm audience and driving bookings when you need them. Get that Christmas week scheduled up now so you can relax and enjoy the festivities!
It’s not easy to cut through the marketing noise this month, which is why it’s important to maintain a distinctive brand voice – the tone of your posts and unique insights into your business. Let your people know how you do things differently and what your values are. This helps you stand out and creates a connection with your ideal guests and customers.
What to Post on Social Media in December – content themes
Filling late availability in December – December brings short crisp days and cold nights, storms and drama to coastal and countryside areas. Early – mid December tends to attract couples and an older demographic looking to experience some festivities, shop for unique gifts, enjoy good food and drink, and retreat to cosy cottages and hotels.
- Build up some excitement around the events and activities happening in your destination this month.
- Post about Christmas displays, markets and nearby activities such a ice skating at Eden. Include any New Year’s Eve events. Write a blog post or share a good event round up by a local blogger on Facebook. Tag the writer to get on their radar – they most likely serve your target audience!
- Show off your christmas decorations and beautiful interiors.
- Promote your festive favourites – food, drink, group parties and family offers.
- Create a Christmas shopping guide showcasing the best local businesses in your area. Recommend a shopping route and include images of window displays for #smallbusinesssaturday on 4th December.
- Capture dramatic views and talk about storm watching, deserted beaches and retreating to warm cosy pubs, cafes and the warm, inviting spaces at your property.
- Share the best places to explore indoors such as art galleries, museums and indoor attractions that appeal to your people.
- Create an Advent Calendar grid on Instagram. We’ve designed a free Canva template with 24 numbered posts here. Use the images included or customise with your own photos. Story templates are here.
Showcase your uniqueness – Stand out from the crowd with messaging that’s unique to your business.
- What’s new in your business? Staff, offers, purchases etc… Show them off and let your followers know how they can book.
- What do you do differently or better than others in your industry? Highlight a key benefit that makes you stand out from others.
- Share how you got started in the industry or celebrate how far you have come. Telling your story helps you to create a connection with your audience and promote your business. Post a #throwbackthursday image of you or a before and after of your property.
- Talk about something you care about, such as a sustainability initiative or cause. This is a great way appeal to people who care about the same things.
- Reveal your festive traditions – let your ideal vistors know if you have a special process or added extra on offer. This is a good way to promote the unique benefits of choosing your business at this time of year.
Promote 2022 Availability – between Christmas and New year, everyone’s at home dreaming about next year’s getaways – so make sure you’re visible!
- Set up your 2022 ads for the key ‘twixtmas’ and New Year period.
- Dig out those stunning summer images and videos and remind people how they can book
More on this in the January blog post! Look out for that towards the end of December…
December Awareness Days, National Holidays, Dates and Events
1st – Advent
4th – Small Business Saturday/Wildlife Conservation Day
5th – Tree Dressing Day
10th – Christmas Jumper Day/Lager Day
17th – End of school term
21st – Winter Solstice
24th – Christmas Eve
25th – Christmas Day
26th – Boxing day (Boxing Day Swims?)
27th – Bank Holiday
28th – Bank Holiday
31st – New Year’s Eve
For more content prompts, caption starter ideas, Canva templates, images, hashtags and much more, sign up to our monthly social media toolkit for tourism & hospitality here.
Join our helpful Facebook group for free social media resources.
See our tips on using awareness days in your social media content here
To talk about outsourcing the content and social media marketing for your business, get in touch for a free consultation here